Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tasty Mozzarella Chicken



I couldn't resist when I saw this recipe in my new Taste of Home Comfort Food 'DIET' cookbook! 

This is the first recipe I tried in it and we were VERY pleased with this tasty meal.


The book has great ideas for cutting fat and sugar. I changed it up a tad to suit us, so I will add those changes in parentheses below.

This is what it reads on the inside of one of the first pages in this book...

"It's here! A weight-loss plan from the people who know comfort food best! The editors of Taste of Home, the world's No. 1 cooking magazine, gathered 410 mouthwatering dishes and combined them with a sensible approach to healthy living.  Now you can drop pounds, lose inches and feel your best...while enjoying your all-time family favorites".

I LOVE THAT KIND OF THINKING!!!!

You will be getting more 'tastes' & 'samples' from this book this year.  I'm loving every recipe I've looked at so far.

ENJOY EVERY BITE!!


We were happy for leftovers too!


TASTY MOZZARELLA CHICKEN

1 egg
(I used 2 egg whites)
2 Tb. water
2/3 c. dry bread crumbs
(I used a scant cup of panko crumbs)
1 env. reduced-sodium onion soup mix
(I used half a 'regular' pkg.)
1/8 tsp. pepper
(we like pepper - I used 1/2 tsp.)
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ozs. each)
1-1/2 c. spaghetti sauce
1 can (7 ozs) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
(I had some 'no salt added'!)
1 c. (4 ozs. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
(I used a little more of sliced)

In a shallow bowl, beat egg and water.  In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, soup mix and pepper.  Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture.

Place in a greased 13" X 9" pan. (I used non stick foil). Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 22 - 25 minutes or until juices run clear.
(Since ours were a little thick, I baked them 35 minutes)

In a small bowl, combine spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; spoon over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake 5 - 7 minutes longer or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.

Yield: 6 servings

        Creative Thursday
       Weekend Potluck
             Fit & Fabulous Friday
         Scrumptious Sunday
             Melt in Your Mouth Monday




7 comments :

  1. Oh! That looks tasty! Everything's better with melted cheese on top! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good, and I love the cuts you made with low sodium ingredients and calories. I will for sure be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks divine; love all the delicious cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great, like a different twist on chicken parmesan. Looks ooey and gooey, just like I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness this looks so delicious! I'm always on the lookout for new chicken recipes. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha~ This looks delicious. It doesn't look like diet food at all! I have thought about getting this cookbook, I think I'll have to check it out. Have a wonderful day friend!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids will love this dish, Marsha!!! So happy that you shared on Fit and Fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly