Thursday, February 14, 2013

Guest Post: DJ's Sugar Shack - Chocolate Bread Pudding for Two

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE! 




I'm tickled to have my friend Dawn from DJ's Sugar Shack sharing a guest post today...a chocolate-y treat for two.   We crossed paths somewhere in BlogLand a while back and were quick to connect.  She lives in Alaska and I use to. That's always fun.  Thanks so much for sharing Dawn! 

Take 'er away....


Hi Everyone! I'm Dawn and I like to share my adventures in baking & other sweet treats over at DJ's Sugar Shack. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be sharing a recipe here today. I absolutely love to stalk Marsha's blog:) I've made several of her recipes and have never been disappointed.



I'm originally from New Orleans, but ended up moving to Alaska after college. I took a summer job in Denali National Park and I'm still here 12 years later. My love for cooking and baking developed some time after I moved to Alaska. Looking back, I think I was missing good old N'awlins cooking and decided it was time to figure out a way to make it myself. My grand-parents are excellent cooks; they taught me to cook many of my favorite dishes over the phone, via letters and when I visit.


Today I will be sharing Chocolate Bread Pudding for Two.

This has been on my "to-do" list for quite a while and boy have I been missing out. This dessert was so rich and chocolatey. I used Sweet Hawaiian Bread & I think that might be what made this so delicious. That and the Kahlua, yummy. Thankfully, this recipe only mades two servings. If it had made more, I don't know how I would have resisted eating several helpings.

Look at all that ooey-gooey chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate Bread Pudding for Two
Adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:

  • 5-6 slices cubed Hawaiian sweet bread (other sweet breads can be substituted)
  • 2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 tablespoon Kahlua
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 ounce dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Cut the Hawaiian sweet bread in to cubes. Place bread on baking sheet, in a single layer. Put in oven for 5 minutes, just long enough to toast the bread.
  • Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar, cocoa, Kahlua. vanilla extract, almond extract & egg. Add bread to mixture & toss lightly to coat bread. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
  • Spray 2 ramekins with cooking spray.
  • Divide half of the bread mixture between the two ramekins and sprinkle with half the chopped chocolate. Divide remaining bread mixture between the ramekins. Top each with half of the remaining chocolate.
  • Place ramekins in an 8x8 baking pan. Fill pan with hot water. There should be about 1 inch of water in the pan
  • Bake for 35 minutes or until set.
  • Serve warm.
  • Optional- top with whipped cream or fresh berries.
Big thanks to Marsha for having me today!

I would love it if some of you stopped by DJ's Sugar Shack to check out the fun treats I'm whipping up.



(As I wipe the drool from my chin...) 
Thanks so much Dawn....
Marsha 

3 comments :

  1. Nice to meet you!
    Your Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe looks awesome!

    Pinning to save and try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that looks sinful!! I love bread pudding.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Kahlua in it--it's my favorite and I even make it to keep the cost down b/c I bake so much with it. This really sounds good and I like that it's a lighter recipe too!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly