Friday, January 17, 2014

Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix

I was elated and intrigued when I came across this simple recipe at 
Coffee with Us 3  who found it by googling it. 

I use a lot of instant pudding mixes in my kitchen and anytime I can make it myself, I'm all for it. 

This turned out to be a little different than what I expected....
but even more than I thought it would be too!!

Let me explain....this mix is for use in baking/cooking.
It doesn't work as an actual instant pudding.

BUT...it does work when making cooked pudding, which I made in the microwave.

Beware, it won't be yellow like store-purchased vanilla pudding.  It's white...very white...but just as good.  I know how color can sometimes affect our taste buds.  Just close your eyes while you're eating it and you won't know the difference.  (Just be careful not to make a mess all over the table in front of you!!) *-*

I halved the amount, so feel free to double the amounts if you'd like. 
I also used mostly xylitol.  Since diabetics can have SOME sugar, I think it's always best to use a little sugar, if your diet allows.

I will use this mostly in the overnight crockpot oatmeal dishes I love, like 

....adding a heaping tablespoon or so for creaminess and sweetness. 

Hope you'll try it soon. It's always a treat when you can D-I-Y and not have the perservatives, and you don't have to worry about not having any on hand...until you run out.  


INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING MIX

1-1/2 c. dry milk
2 c. sugar (can use at least 1/2 xylitol)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tb. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. cornstarch
few sprinkles of nutmeg

In food processor, place dry milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Pulse until smooth. 
Stir in cornstarch and nutmeg by hand. 

Store in airtight container. 

To replace sm. pkg. of instant pudding, use 1/4 c. mix
To replace lg. pkg. of instant pudding, use 1/2 mix 

If you prefer making 'homemade'...you may like to try this simple 3-ingredient recipe for Homemade Fabric Softener





Linked to Mix it up Monday
              Weekend Potluck




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly