Saturday, August 16, 2014

German Chocolate Zucchini Bread {Lighter Options}

I couldn't wait to share this wonderfully moist creation with you.  

My friend, Kate, works a full time job, loves to garden and be outdoors, does lots of canning, and is a super duper cook/baker to boot! 

She shares photos of her creations & 'productions' on Facebook.  She reminds me so much of me 20 years ago - she's VERY productive and can accomplish much in a short amount of time.  She's the kind of gal who can produce 15 loaves of zucchini bread in an afternoon or evening. That's just one thing I appreciate about her. 

So when she said she had a recipe for German Chocolate Zucchini Bread, I excitedly asked and she emailed it to me the very next day. 


When I went to slice into it, a few minutes after it was removed from the pan, I just knew the way the knife went in, it was going to be moist.

OH HOW I LOVE THAT!!

I tweaked it by using half coconut oil/half applesauce instead of the 1 c. of oil, and I saved part of the coconut/pecans to top it off with. That's optional.  As you can see, the coconut gets pretty brown, but this had soooo much flavor.  And I think it just adds to the 'presentation' of this tasty bread. 

You could serve it for dessert with ice cream if you want!

My hubby even commented what tasty bread it was...that doesn't happen real often. 



GERMAN CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD 

4 eggs
2-1/2 c. sugar
(I used 1 c. xylitol, 1-1/4 c. sugar)
1 c. oil
(I used 1/2 c. melted coconut oil, 1/2 c. applesauce)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. (white wheat) flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
(I love fresh grated, and used less)
1 tsp. salt
(I used less)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. baking cocoa
1 sm. box (4-serv. size) instant chocolate pudding
(sugar free works fine too)
3 c. grated zucchini, peeled or unpeeled
1 c. (unsweetened) coconut
1 c. chopped pecans, (toasted) optional
1 c. mini choc chips

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease and flour 2 loaf pans, OR a 9" X 13" OR a bundt pan. (Baker's Joy spray with flour works super!)


In large bowl, with mixer, beat eggs lightly; add sugar and oil; mix well.  Add vanilla.  In a medium bowl, stir dry ingredients into flour (a whisk works well). Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, a little at a time, until well blended. 


Stir in zucchini, nuts, coconut and chocolate chips. (Dredge chocolate chips in a little flour so they won't sink to the bottom). (I saved a little of the nuts/coconut and sprinkled over the top before baking.  The coconut gets nice and toasted - I think it just gives it that German Chocolate 'Flare'!).  

Pour into prepared pan(s), filling bread pans about 2/3 - 3/4 full.
(You may have some left over to bake a small one too). 

Bake 30 - 50 minutes, depending on which sized pan you're using. 

Just check with a toothpick stuck in the middle - if it comes out clean, remove bread from oven, but be careful not to overbake.


Let stand in pans for 5 - 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks until room temperature. 

Kate suggests wrapping cooled bread in plastic wrap, then Press & Seal, then placing in a ziploc freezer bag. It will keep in the freezer for months.

Dust with a little powdered sugar before serving if desired. 

Linked to Melt in your Mouth Monday
GBP Roundup - Fav Muffins & Quick Breads
Full Plate Thursda
Meal Plan Monday
Weekend Potluck




You might also like 

Self-Frosted Chocolate Zucchini Cake





Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly