Thursday, September 4, 2014

Tasty Squash Custard

We REALLY love enjoying garden fresh veggies in the summertime, but..

We don't grow a garden.  We don't have to.  We have enough family and friends who share their produce with us.  

God is so good!

Sometimes I try new recipes to get it all eaten up...I do freeze a lot of it to use during the winter...but this time I stuck with an old favorite.  It's in my first cookbook too.  Though I have tweaked it a bit since then. 


The original recipe calls for yellow summer squash, but I had just a little bit of a zucchini left, so I mixed the two, so choose what you'd like and make this your own. 

This is so good it's hard for me to stop eating it.  I am so partial to 
'dressed up' veggie dishes, and this one has been enjoyed in my family for about 40 years! 

Hope it becomes a favorite with your family as well. 
SQUASH CUSTARD 

1-1/2 lb. yellow summer squash (about 2 large)
(or use part zucchini)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 - 1 tsp. fresh minced garlic, to taste
salt & pepper to taste
(we do love fresh ground pepper!!)
1 Tb. oil
1 Tb. butter
1 - 2 Tb. water
1 c. white sauce(*recipe below), medium thickness
1/2 c. American cheese, grated
(or use cheddar, or your favorite kind)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 c. buttered bread crumbs 
2 Tb. parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2-1/2 qt. baking dish. 

Wash and cube squash. (I normally remove the seeds, but that's optional). 
In large skillet, melt oil and butter. Saute onion & garlic with squash until tender, adding salt & pepper...simmering on low for 10 - 15 minutes. (I steam it with some water after it's sauteed) Drain thoroughly and combine with white sauce, cheese and eggs. 

Pour into prepared pan; sprinkle with buttered crumbs and parmesan cheese. Cover for first 15 minutes; remove cover; bake 15 minutes longer or until brown. 

*White Sauce:

2 Tb. butter or margarine
2 Tb. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour and salt; stir until smooth.  (For best result, use a whisk!) Add milk all at once.  Cook quickly, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.  Remove from heat. 



Print Friendly and PDF



Linked to Weekend Potluck


You might also like









No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly