Monday, December 15, 2014

Tips for "Shaving Time and Money" During the Busy Holiday Season

I discovered Dollar Shave Club, a subscription service whose motto is "Shave Time and Shave Money". Their service make it easier for you to get nice razors at a great price. (they ship to USA/Canada and even Australia!). It's $1 is for 5 cartridges for a month + shipping! They also have an option to get 'higher class' razors and shipping is free. Perfect for gift giving! 
They're awesome...Check them out!

Here's a few helpful ideas to help you 'SHAVE' time over the holidays....

I like to keep a list of recipes written out for review & reference. I try to make every minute count - get up and do something while a commercial comes on TV, and I always make myself lists so I can think of what I need to do next.

One thing I do to keep things moving along in the kitchen, is to keep hot sudsy water in the sink all the time I'm working there, and wash dishes when I have a minute in between things. It helps keep the counter cleared and dishes can dry (use HOT water to rinse) and you can put them away when you have another few minutes. (And really...who cares if they're still a little damp when you put them away?  They will air dry! =) 


I also like keeping cooked meat and chopped (leftover) veggies on hand in the freezer. All I have to do is thaw and throw the meal together. It's a real time saver. Here's my method for browning ground beef in the crockpot. You'll save money by not running through the nearest drive thru at the last minute! 


Sometimes, we just have to prioritize. I do that often during this very busy month. And I have to consider what REALLY needs to be done first - usually, according to the day of the week it needs to be ready. We gotta 'keep the main thing, the main thing'....I always record comments on new recipes - 'excellent'....'rubbery' (just did that today with a sugar free cookie I tried =) If the recipe isn't in a book, and I'm not wild about it, I usually throw it away and keep trying new ones.

I have always loved making and giving homemade gifts from my kitchen. It doesn't have to be a pricey gift because you are already investing your time in the gift of love.  I have always been ALL ABOUT quick & easy!

(Click on links for recipe)
White Christmas Mix


White Christmas Mix is a really yummy, easy, pretty holiday gift to give. Cereal, pretzels, nuts & candies coated with white almond bark - simple! Give it in the holiday printed zipper-seal bags because then you can see how pretty the mix is. Even plain ziploc bags, decorated with curly ribbons is 'fun and festive.'

Date Balls


Homemade Date Balls are a special holiday treat worth sharing. The date/butter/sugar mixture is cooked on the top of the stove, stir in nuts and cereal, cool, roll into balls and then roll in powdered sugar.  Addicting!! They keep in the refrigerator for weeks ahead.

Fruited Oatmeal Mix is a nice gift to give – it’s warm and filling and is a healthier option, too! It can be bagged and tucked into a pretty tin or given in a pretty gift jar.

Or how about making a simple 
Infinity Scarf from a t-shirt


Honestly - These are all NO sew! 
Anyone can do this...and it's ready to wear in about 2 minutes! I also have tutorials for a Ruffle Scarf from a t-shirt (check it out...it's so cute!)
and a practical bag from a t-shirt!  (everyone raves!) I have purchased many t-shirts from second hand stores or used ones I was no longer wearing. 

I try to be ready for last minute gift giving by purchasing items on sale throughout the year - candles, books, calendars, Avon, & clearance items I come across. I have two file drawers in my desk with gifts in them, so I can look through and see if I can find anything 'fitting' for the person I desire it for. And I always have something edible made up - even if it's in the freezer.

I hope these ideas will have 'shave time and money' during the holiday rush! 

I'd love to know your favorite hints for 'shaving time' during the holidays....



Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly