Sunday, April 10, 2016

Ambrosia Salad

I love love love this simple salad!
Or it can be dessert too...after all, it does have some Cool Whip in it.

I have a recipe in my first cookbook (still available - Recipes & Recollections - check out my "Cookbooks" tab) that is titled FIVE CUP SALAD.

It's one cup of each of these ingredients - pineapple, mandarin oranges,
 marshmallows, coconut and sour cream.  YUM!!

Since I was making this to share at a potluck in the RV park where we spent the winter in Florida, and I needed a little more than 5 cups, I decided to add some maraschino cherries....

THEN...I saw a similar recipe with Cool Whip, so I stretched it a little farther and added that. 

So yeh, you can omit any of the ingredients and add what you prefer...
like grapes? 

It turned out to be a winner, as I came home with an empty bowl.
I love that it's so simple and has such a rich taste. 
Perfect for any holiday, but summertime too. 

This dish definitely makes you feel 'summer' but is great all year around!


AMBROSIA SALAD

1 c. mandarin oranges, drained
1 c. pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
1 c. shredded coconut
1 c. miniature marshmallows
1 c. sour cream
1 c. Cool Whip, thawed, optional
1 c. maraschino cherries, well drained and dried, optional


Place oranges, pineapple and coconut in a large bowl. Stir in sour cream and Cool Whip, if using; blend until smooth. Stir in marshmallows. Top with cherries, or stir in just before serving. 


Linked to Full Plate Thursday
          Meal Plan Monday
           Weekend Potluck












Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly